
S and I like to talk about prom dresses. I only went to one prom in high school. It was pretty laughable. I was a sophomore, he was a junior. He was pimply and although the quarterback he was not at all cute to me, but I thought it was cool to be asked. A strap on my homemade dress fell apart; I just couldn't slow dance with him. WHy did I think we needed to make the dress? Even recently my mother mentioned that unfortunate dress; she hasn't sewed since.
The next year I transfered to Urban in SF and was spared anymore all-American fun. Oh drat. Now I realize that I did miss the sports teams and especially being on them. Anyway, if S choses to go to a prom I intend to support her enthusiasm. While in SF I went to the Marc Jacobs store on Fillmore St. Bought her a WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE? shirt. She loves it. The sales woman told me that tight shirts aren't so in anymore, which I told S. "The Marc Jacobs lady said..." That made the size medium shirt much more hip. And, WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?! anyway-- a topic for another day.
Back to the prom dress. I called S and told her that instead of buying one of the dorky pastel (or safety orange?!) tight satin, cap-sleeved, tasteless dresses that everyone here wears I will by her a funky Marc Jacobs dress that she can wear to parties after she graduates and moves to SF or NYC. Or at least love the night she is wearing it. She mentioned that she hasn't been invited to any parties in NYC yet.
The above dress is made of tequila wrappers and lime rinds. Found it at sfgate.com The designer is having a blast. Earlier M asked what I was looking at. She said she likes that dress for grandma. I do too! The pink dress below is similar to the MJ dress -- fun. MJs' was pleated gray layers, with odd short, triangular sleeves. Short length, great with festive leggings or shorts underneath for actual dancing! The truly hip folks dance. These roses are so fun and feminine!
oooh, great fashion post. how cool of a mom are you bringing home goods (and tips!) from Marc Jacobs?? I mean seriously? (And that pink dress is right up my alley.)
ReplyDelete