

The above is a tart of sorts made with fresh peaches, apples and a simple cinnamon/sugar topping, no crust.
Many newspapers use the Wednesday center part of the paper for food. My favorite paper (my home page) The San Francisco Chronicle has a brilliant Wednesday Food Section. The Deseret Morning News also has a Wednesday Food Section. What's the difference? Everything!
I honestly cannot figure out how the food editor of the Deseret News keeps her job. She doesn't do a bad job, she does a HORRIFIC job. I have been wanting to write a letter to the editor for a long while -- about the Captain Crunch Crab Cakes! or the endless article about cook-offs and contests, or the use of out of season produce and canned soups. Can't wait to see what she "cooks up today!" Can't forget to mention her over use of cliches and trite sayings.
While in SF with C, we ate breakfast at a favorite, fantastic, small restaurant on Chestnut Street, The Grove. Out of the blue C mentions Valarie Phillips, the food editor for the DMN, and her recipe for quesadillas, with "your favorite canned spicy cheesy soup," in a comparison to the Grove's lovely, simple, healthy menu. I just about spit I was suddenly so mad. It was funny at the time. A woman next to us noticed and we told her about the Captain Crunch crab cakes, quesadillas and cook-offs -- she was disgusted too. It was a funny San Franciscan exchange.
Perhaps I'll write that letter today...
Those crab cakes sound tasty! If you can't beat them (or move away), join them. YUM!
ReplyDeleteNoooooo! Julie! No! I know you don't mean it! If you really want the recipe look up "Bowled Over" form 18 October 2006 (a year ago?) ... It has been taped on the wall of my studio, reminding me to write. Still didn't get to today.
ReplyDeleteOmigosh, I can't believe that Deseret News editor. Seriously. And I can't even blame it on her context, because even Utah in 2007 is hipper than recipes with canned soups. Recipes in the FOOD SECTION with CANNED SOUPS!! I'm very disturbed.
ReplyDelete