12 November 2007

C is for Consumerism.


This morning on the Marketplace Morning Report they announced the theme for the week: CONSUMERISM

This is the issue that I am working on within the walls of my home. I have never enjoyed shopping and yet I have a odd talent to find things. This talent was developed in bulk by my folks interest in buying in bulk, wholesale, "for the business." Also working for a spell in NYC as a stylist/assistant honed those skills. The result: my home is wallowing in crap. I take stuff to DI (local charity/Goodwill) and the designated DI basket magically refills. My friend June, a very sensible friend, with grown children, just told me the same thing happens at her house.

The Marketplace site has a lot of cool games to play, articles to read, shows to listen to (Why so many?) -- and leave behind. It might be good to check out with children.

Game: Consumer Consequences/What if everyone lived like me?

1 comment:

  1. H, you may be interested in Low-impact Man's blog. He and his wife and toddler live here in NYC, and he just spent the last year treading very lightly on the earth: buying almost nothing, generating no garbage, and living without electricity in his apartment.

    Here: http://www.noimpactman.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete