27 November 2007

P is for Puppets...


You might know that I am devoted to Spin - indoor cycling classes at a gym- classes. The teacher at the gym I go to is a Wonder. Rona. She is not for everyone. I dig her glasses. I am firing my kiln right now which always leaves me a bit sleepless. Her glass starts at 5:15 and the bikes are filled by 4:55. I am not her only devotee.

For a while I entertained teaching, but my schedule is too chopped up. I am still taking notes. Then I made a puppet while trying to figure out how paper mache works with K. Then, it dawned on me: DO A PUPPET SHOW OF RONA's CLASS. I am devoting a shetchbook to this idea. Here are some of my sketches:


There are several more pages of drawings. She gives almost everyone nick-names. She has big hair, boobs and nails. She is made of steel but can be very nice, well, to new students. She talks a lot about gossip and can be ruthless about people in the spot light.

A while ago C said he wanted to collaborate with me on something... He does amazing shadow puppet shows, this should be fun... once all the dust settles on 2007.

5 comments:

  1. So what is your nickname?
    Love the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. I've wondered for a long time why I Don't have a nick name. Perhaps it is a good thing. Rona can't take a minute silly thing, like an erroneous story of peanut butter in a hot tub, and brand a person for life.

    I'm not going to spin again until Friday. :( I'm missing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. let me know when the puppet show is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to her class: you've captured it wonderfully!
    (And she is a the best and most ruthless spin teacher around.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. H, this is a brilliant idea--something I could see listed in TimeOutNY, or covered in the New YOrker. Seriously. (Not that appearing in a NY rag would validate it, but you know. It's seriously mind-blowingly great.)

    -writermama

    ReplyDelete