06 February 2008

L is for the Letter of the day, to USDB.




It probably doesn't come as a surprise that I write letters ... everyone does these days with emails and general bigmouthedness. This is my letter of today. Last week my letter was to the legislators about supporting an appropriation that would help USDB. Last Friday night there was a meeting with the Karl White (Sound Beginnings) and Tim Smith (USDB) camps. USDB came off as defensive, petty and they lied about several things. The situation is pretty ... pretty sickening.

The following is a letter I wrote and yet did not send. USDB, the staff, administration, teachers do NOT listen and do NOT want to change or improve their program. To quote the superintendent, "We have the best program there is. And until I see proof of a better program we're not changing." What a visionary; how progressive. By the way, USDB, in 1990, won an award from the AG Bell Association for best public deaf program. 18 years ago?! In any field that is a long time ago, in deaf education that is antebellum, even before the CI revolution!

This letter sounds fairly pleasant and yet ... C and I wonder how it would be received. Not very well, probably defensively. Never forgetting they have THE best program out there.

Hello L [M's (dedicated) teacher at USDB],
What size will the Valentine book [M needs to bring pictures of things she loves] be? I thought I'd cut/choose the pictures to fit the book.
Also, several of my friends make books. All sorts of art books and simple heirloom/keepsake books. They have taught me and I'd be happy to show you, or Nichole, samples or instructions.

Also, I would love to talk with you (or anyone at USDB, Marilyn, Kim) about Karl White's proposal, what you thought of the meeting on Friday night. What do you think the future of USDB is? Would that be productive? I think the parents' perspective is very different from the school's.

I loved the comment from the father, if someone wants to help improve USDB why not accept the help? I have felt this same way with USDB and getting a new facility for the pre-school (with Journey to Hear); I've met one road block after another. I admire the way Dr. White looks at situations and figures a way around them. I don't want to put you on the defensive, I am not "venting," to use your term, just saying USDB is in a position to benefit from Dr. White.


Thanks for listening,
[Yeah, right.]
Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment