I have enjoyed the Writer's Almanac for as long as I could-have. While it was on KBYU I set my alarm to it. Although I was awake I didn't want to miss it. When it was off the local public radio stations for years I wrote to them on your behalf, mine too! Now I enjoy the daily email and listen to the podcasts when I can. Thank you for your great work.
Here's the deal: CHEER UP. It seems that so many of the poems and histories recently chosen are glum. Right now, I am awake contemplating my children's lives... The email from my deaf son's 2nd grade teacher. My beautiful 16 year old. Schedules. Republican (not really "conservative") neighbors and relatives telling me, loudly, what they think about things I quietly disagree with. My house is a mess. The hazelnut birthday cake didn't turn out as planned. There is personal and National debt. And then there is Sarah Hot-babe Palin, mean girl, un-qualified VP?, train-wreck?
Please, oh please, help me out by just throwing out a few funny poems, something light-hearted, now and then. I'm probably not alone in my stress and woe and need for humor. Probably need a few extra doses right now.
Thanks for listening!
Your fan,
H
Oops, I meant that to be anonymous, then got shy, then accidentally deleted it ... Anyway, I clicked over from Julie’s blog – hi – and mainly just wanted to say I agree about Writer's Almanac, and I love it that you take the time to write such nice letters about things like this. So thank you for doing that! (And hazelnut cake sounds delicious...) -T.
ReplyDelete