13 October 2008

V is for Vote.



http://www.fminus.net/
blog: http://www.spreadthefword.com/
Great, big funny site: http://www.comics.com/comics/fminus/index.html

The best cartoons are the ones cut out of paper!

Recently I received a plea from my pal Dan Pirarro about being dropped from the Dallas Morning News. He was asking loyal fans to write and ask for Bizarro to be reinstated.

As Al Capone might say, "Done."

Here is what I wrote. I also sent it to the Deseret News. Just a note, I wrote this quickly which surprised me since letter writing as been a bit of a chore. Like some of the results but the process? Arduous. Perhaps practice has helped...

Thanks so much, H! You're the bomb.
d
On Oct 12, 2008, at 8:08 AM, H wrote:

Hello Ms. Hutchinson,


I wrote the following to the Dallas Morning News about their decision to drop Bizarro, after 20 years. Thought I should send my comments to the paper I subscribe to as well.

"I am a long time fan of the Bizarro cartoon. When I read that your paper [DMN] has dropped it I was more than surprised or saddened. I was shocked. Why?! What a bizarre decision. I have been reading Bizarro for over 20 years (a Bizarro cartoon is in my 1983 high school journal) and for the last 7 years I have subscribed to the local Newspaper (The Deseret News) just for Bizarro, no joke. My husband, children and I all rush for the paper to read Bizarro first! The comics are a great way to get children reading and interested in current events and subtle language idioms, not to mention a lot more fun than winking politicians and dire economic forecasts.

"Early yesterday, I opened the paper, dug through the ads, made it to the funnies and laughed out loud at the Bizarro "sphinx" gag! If a family in Utah subscribes to a PRINT newspaper just to read one cartoon maybe there are other families in Texas who are doing the same. Please reconsider carrying Bizarro."

To the Deseret News: In case I wasn't clear enough: I LOVE BIZARRO! My family would be so sad if the Deseret News dropped it. We also enjoy the Mormon Times section, especially Orson Scott Card's articles. I do wish that many other articles were longer, more detailed. Your online edition is good as well, but the funnies? Well,they need to be the "funny pages!" The kids just can't read them on line while in the car [or on the lou].

Thanks for listening. Sincerely,
H.

No comments:

Post a Comment