11 February 2009

Oh dear. POSSITIVE changes to the Bay to Breakers in SF.

I just finished a letter to the San Francisco Chronicle. Thought I'd post it, against my better judgment. What will Misha, Brit and KtG think if they read this...? Well, it is the San Francisco that I grew up in, slightly west of Utah County. I try to always write honestly.

The story: A corporate sponsor is requiring that the Bay to Breakers race in San Francisco be cleaned up. No more nudity or nasty keg filled "floats" -- AMEN! I say. They asked for memories and I wrote the following. Maybe now I can ask Ashley, Noelle, Steph, Luz (tri-athelete friends) to come run it with me; I never would have before. I've wanted to for years.

My advance apologies to my gentle readers.

re: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=55&entry_id=35704

I welcome changes to the Bay to Breakers race. It will only be MORE vital, creative, safe, and wonderful, cleaned up and FUN -- without the naked men, drunks and rank floats traversing the City. And far from discouraging visitors it will encourage more health conscious people and (gasp!) families to participate, watching and running.

When my son K was about 4 we went to watch the race for a while. I had told him that Grandma had run this race a few times and there were teams from my high school (Urban) that ran every year. We walked a few blocks and stood on Fell St. to take it all in.

He remembers being on my shoulders for a while and also the back of my hands, over his eyes. He also remembers seeing a lot of men's shoes. It was fun watching the Elvises run by and the flock of flamingos and, what's that? A nuclear explosion? Oh dear. It was a 7 foot tall penis costume, erect (of course), complete with pubic hair. I didn't point that out to him. Then the naked men. Lots and lots of them. More of them. They were walking, laughing, wearing only their running shoes, and slouched socks, in the throng. They really didn't add to the "vitality" of the Bay To Breakers. I didn't point them out either, hoping he wouldn't notice.

More funny clowns on amazing stilts and a few serious runners, a few runners in wheel chairs, and then more fat, flabby, white, blanched legged, naked men. I asked the guy standing next to me, "Um, are there more naked men this year, or what?"

"Oh Yeah! And they SHOULDN'T be!!" the fellow exclaimed with attitude. The Divisidero guy and Pacific Heights gal had a lot in common. We exchanged a little more friendly and funny commentary and then I thought, perhaps it's time to go back to Grandma who was waiting in the car a few blocks away, quickly!

That is when K chimed in, slowly, "Everywhere I look I see something Strange." He had noticed.

97 years ago public crudity and excessive nudity weren't required to have a great time in San Francisco. Go to Burning Man and enjoy all the debauchery a person could wish for. Get drunk at home. A race that starts at 8:00 in the morning can be colorful and clean, vital and fun.

Thanks for listening.
H

2 comments:

  1. Good letter Hailey, I love that you will speak your mind, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? I had no idea there was a race I could run in the nude. I'm totally moving.....jk.

    ReplyDelete