27 March 2009

THE LETTER: to Oprah re: Rona


One day Rona said, "HAILEY! YOU need to write to OPRAH about this class!" I agreed. She went on to compliment me in all sorts of ways, which I appreciated, but only raised the bar a few feet, her specialty. Letter writing is easier said than done. Now my first ever letter to OPRAH! is done. Voila:

Oprah talks about how dreary exercise is...that is because she hasn't been to Rona's spin class yet. Simply put: The WORLD'S GREATEST SPIN CLASS is at the 800 North Gold's Gym in Orem, Utah -- Oprah should come & join in the fun!

Every Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 9:15 a.m. (sharp!) the party begins. The lights are low, the fans are on and the music on the stereo is sped up. Hip-hop, Rock, Funk & the latest pop music, is Loud! Rona is already talking about the latest celebrity gossip and news.

Rona's personal style is stunning: big blond hair, flashy nails, tight colorful clothes, big smile, LOUD voice. Her teaching style is Brutal. She has us Spriiiiiiint!, clap, yell, lean to the left/right, dip, wave, scissor kick, arrow down, jump, imagine all sorts of cycling scenarios & sweat like mad.

There is really no easy way out of that class and yet a group of regulars comes every week. We have become friends and call each other by the nicknames Rona doles out, Taz, Peanut Butter, Cinderella for example. The group is a mix of people who want to loose weight (most have, Rona used to weigh over 220), competitive athletes, college students, stressed professionals and stressed out mothers. People come almost an hour early to reserve a bike. One woman never missed a class throughout her pregnancy, with twins!

Recently Rona hosted a party for 2 favorite regulars, for their 55th birthdays! There were balloons, treats, gifts and silly party hats in class. There are parties for Halloween (with costumes) and Christmas (with gifts). The best fete was probably for Rona's surprise birthday, complete with disco balls, special gifts, gourmet cupcakes & singing. The room is regularly decorated with random seasonal decor, lights and a rogue glittered gnome.

I never miss a class & although my legs & butt are hard as rock, I go for my mind. I am a happier, healthier, calmer & better person for attending Rona's class.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

2 comments:

  1. I love it- It's such a perfect description of Rona's class. And I miss coming to class. I've been working out with my husband in the evenings. But I think I'm going to come on Friday. Is Rona back yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amber! You were fast! How did you know I posted that? Even Rona hadn't read it when you commented. THANKS!
    I've missed you at class. Rona was back yesterday. Said she was bored with staying at home and being sad.

    ReplyDelete