Hello PBS Kids,
I wrote the following letter to KUER-TV Salt Lake City, and I thought I'd send it to you as well. "It would be great if Sesame Street was on at other times of the day, perhaps later in the morning? 4:00/6:00 a.m is a wee bit early for my 5 year old. She is in kindergarten when it is on on KBYU. She is home today and the first thing she asked is if she could watch Sesame Street. An aside: she is deaf and so much of PBS's children's programing is animated and doesn't really help her learn to read lips or even listen. We need more real people teaching experiencing real things. Flying dragons, talking dogs and stuffed hyper-active dinosaur costumes don't help. Usually the TV is off, which is perhaps the best thing for her. I really miss the older, less frantic Electric Company (we own the DVDs), the warm and gentle Mr. Rogers and of course the steady and enlightening Reading Rainbow." Why is almost 100% of PBS's programing un-real, using animation or fantastic situations (space travel, time travel, talking animals, super-hero children). We cast our votes for future programing that is simple, attractive, kind, smart, gentle and entertaining, created by and cast with real people. Thanks for listening. Hailey
One word: TiVo
ReplyDeleteBut I agree- it is weird that it's on every hour during the night on Sunday night or something crazy like that. Insomniac children??
Yeah... as an insomniac parent I've wondered about that. I'm grateful for the not-infomercial TV though, at 3:00 a.m. Probably a bunch of insomniac kids wrote to KUER/KBYU and requested it on at that time ... and they are most likely charged by how many people are watching and when. Costs more.
ReplyDeleteIf I don't want to use my computer, we can watch episodes on the PBS website.
nice! i like between the lions, but haven't seen it in awhile. i LOVE Mr. Rogers. when i think about his death, i get teary. his show is so, so moving to me, so full of gentleness and heart. so smart, that show. he said once that his show expressed his desire for children to have a calm and quiet place to go.
ReplyDelete