12 April 2007

JOURNEY to HEAR


A very exciting thing happened today!

My pal Michelle A and I went into a bank (!) and opened a bank account for The Journey to Hear Foundation. Sounds simple and yet it was the pinnacle experience of over a year's worth of work -- work that I have a hunch is just beginning.

We had to register as a corporation with the state and then get a tax ID number, not really huge tasks and yet one huge insurance battle, disputes with the school for the deaf, visits to the legislators, charter schools, a few trips for the cause to DC, Atlanta, California and Snowbird (UT), numerous meetings with parents, an architect, poo-poo head administrators, devoted teachers AND!!! three cochlear implant operations (on three different children of ours) and about a bazillion visits to audiologists have tripped us up.

I am looking forward to writing more about creating a logo, forming a board of directors, fundraising, building a building, serving children and families with deaf children in Utah County.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! All of your (and Michelle & Christopher & I'm sure others I'm not aware of!) is paying off. I'm glad that things are still moving forward despite all of the obstacles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant to say was that your hard work is beginning to pay off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph! Thanks for the encouragement. We have our first donation for the bank account too! I spoke, as a parent, to a group of people related to genetics and deafness. I just got an email saying they are going to send me some money for my time, or donate it to our new foundation. At the time I didn't know there was any money involved, now that we have a tax id # it can go to the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting - I want to hear more about this soon! -Carrie

    ReplyDelete