09 May 2007

O is for OUTRAGE!


I'm wondering, as I pass gas stations that suddenly sell gas for 3.26 a gallon, WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE?
I think the dems in the house and senate are doing their bit, Bush is doing his (veto-ing everything), BILLIONS are being wasted in an unfounded war in Iraq, Osama is running free, the best and the most beautiful of America are being killed (3 from Utah this week!), our country is awash is drugs and grime. It makes me sick. On the news I hear about a fire in LA, the queen of England's visit to the US and her witty remarks and bumbling Bush famous flub-ups, a very small town in Kansas was obliterated by a tornado--global warming is also big news. What about Bush, Cheney, Gonsales and a complete lack of leadership? An aimless war effort? I could go on.

I get emails from the Washington Post. I just read this by Andrew Cohen. It is refreshing to read some biting criticism peppered with facts. Here is the entire article.

For starters, just read this:

Texas Supreme Court to Juries: Get Bent
Let's shift our focus today from the U.S. Attorney scandal to a scandalous ruling out of Texas. But before we do, let's briefly play that "Six Degrees of Separation" game. Before he became a disastrous Attorney General, Alberto R. Gonzales was a disastrous White House counsel. And when he left that post he was replaced by Harriet Miers. And when Harriet Miers was nominated for a position on the Supreme Court, her most vocal (and some say overzealous) supporter was Texas Supreme Court Justice Nathan Hecht. Hecht is the fellow who authored the ruling that has folks fired up in the Lone Star State. And of course before Gonzales was a miserable White House counsel and a pathetic Attorney General he was a lame Justice on the Texas Supreme Court. See? Like everything else in the world, misfeasance is interrelated!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, H., you are on fire. Go girl. I like to hear what people really think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm outraged at quite a lot of what is going on the United States, and in the world right now, but the gas prices make me cheer. Where I live now gas costs the equivalent of 6.09 dollars per gallon, no that is not a typo. And you know what? People drive small cars, not giant SUVs, people take public transit, people walk more (which also means they don't get as fat), people don't buy houses 60 miles from their work so that they can have 3000 sq feet of space. (of course there are people in the US that do this too, but the high gas prices will encourage more I bet).

    Adjusting for inflation, gas prices in the US have been at an all time low in the past years. Already SUV sales in the US are starting to fall as gas prices go up, as far as I am concerned gas prices are too low!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I completely agree. What I am wondering is why the SUV/Hummer/monster truck drivers aren't outraged. It is a communal personality shift orchestrated by "folks" like Chenney. ("Folks" is one of Bush's favorite word.) Anyone who descents is branded unpatriotic. For so long there was no balance or oversight. This is, thankfully, cooling off a bit. Still, I wonder why more questions aren't being asked.

    I have been to your blog. So very cool!

    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H-
    found your blog, i like it.
    first off:
    1) bizarro good.
    2) meatloaf tasty.
    3) mom my ride way too true.
    4) high gas prices bad.

    but for pete's sake, where was all the liberal outcry when clinton was "smoking cigars" with the intern? talk about poor leadership. plenty of leadership flubs on that guy's watch. as a counter point to the poor leadership crack (not a huge bush fan here, but don't think he's all that bad either) at least the guy has stood his ground on the whole iraq issue (granted things could be going better), and caught a few bad guys to boot (still looking for osama). and we haven't had any attacks here either, a real plus. also, the economy is doing pretty good (recovery from the poorly directed clinton era ). there are plenty of others that are in the "bad leadership" boat. read: clinton (bill or otherwise), kennedy, boxer, pelosi, kerry, cannon-ut, mccain, etc. how about we all just convert to the independent ticket and boot them all? any thoughts on romney for pres?

    as for driving too much and communal living. god bless america! its a great big place, there is room for gigantic tasteless homes, and highways galore. this is not europe (thank goodness) we happen to live in a car culture. think about it. where else in the world do people identify so closely with their vehicles, wierd but fun (ie: cowboy, lowrider, soccer mom, yuppie, hippie; you just come up with a mental picture for each, etc.). also, you can't take the bus through a drive-thru, big problem there. personally, i would love it if we had some good public transportation (i am one of the offenders who drive about 100miles a day). but with that being said, you'll have to pull the steering wheel from my cold dead hands! cars are great. man, if gas dropped to a dollar a gallon, i would melt one of al's glaciers by myself. it would be a dream, i can hear the rumble of a big, fat, gas guzzling, V-8 right now, and I'm not talking about tomato juice!

    anywho, it was fun to read your stuff. it made me hungry, made me laugh; love bizarro comics. i may have been listening to too much talk radio during my drive lately. hence the rant, sorry "folks".
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. circa73 that is an eye full... Glad you like Bizarro! C:
    I don't want to melt any more glaciers and I think Bush's bumbling leadership under the guise of steadfastness is almost lunacy. I really can't stand his example (agreed, I cant stand the Clitons' either) -- his pride about not reading, or even articulating!

    Mitt Romney? He was cool in red Utah and cool in blue Mass. Cool. I don't care how many wives his great grandfather had, do you? Most people don't seem to care how many wifes Guiliani has had, at once, in THIS era! Or the fact that his children don't speak to him! Where is the outrage? See what I mean? The outrage that is out there is so unbalanced. Why doesn't anyone ask how the hell Hillary can stand by her husband?! What kind of marriage is that? I could go on...

    Will post a funny ferret comment on your blog, from Wikipedia's Guliani entry.

    ReplyDelete