
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7655704
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695233686,00.html
Last night my sister-in-law MVL told me that she saw on the news that there was a big fire the Star Mill Antique store in American Fork. My heart sank. Daniel Copper is a friend of ours, he has always been very kind to our children, us and very generous. What is he feeling? What will happen to his store? How is he doing?
I read that the main building, the mill itself was not harmed. Yet... smoke is an insidious neighbor. I will go visit today with some fruit and a note from all of us. K especially loves Daniel's place! It is a treasure trove of beautiful old things, lots of wonder and great combinations. In one corner of a warehouse he might but a collection of globes, hanging upside down from the ceiling. One room is white. Doors on doors on doors. Jars of old bottle caps, pennies, rubber balls, random mystery relics of past simple consumer goods.
Daniel Copper is an architect and a very nice man. He reminds me of a starling (the bird). Simple and practical on the outside and then with closer look you see all the colors and depth, talent and grace, strength, and the fragility of a bird. He has restored the mill and several of the surrounding houses. I was also saddened at the possible loss of another historic structure in Utah, especially one so cool. Old buildings are torn down here like the owners/cities are swatting flies... witness downtown Provo in 2007.
Another reason my heart sank: What about the 15th? A while ago I bounced into Daniel's store and told him that I was painting our living room purple! and our handrail red, and our entry green, a bathroom yellow, the kitchen gray, the outside blue... Without a pause he said, "Then you'll be on our Christmas home tour right?!" I said, "Sure!" before I knew what I was getting into. Every few years he hosts a home tour of/for friends of the store, of homes that decorate with antiques, or "junk" as he sometimes calls it -- especially "junk" from his store. I prefer Nanette's reference to my "authentic" style, a combination of Daniel's style of junk and my sense of humor & history. The house is shaping up into a glittery house of ORDER! Complete with cupcakes, and gingerbread, on the 15th.
For Daniel, who has told people if you only go to one house go to [ours]... I have been dolling (literally), lighting, glittering, gingerbreading this place up. My studio, with a large shelf from his store, is even scheduled to be cleaned up for the tour! And I'm serious about the cupcakes. Until he tells me otherwise I am still planning on an open door on the 15th, it might be a good way to help him out.
Since I don't know who is reading this blog, the good, the very good, the bad and the ugly, I'm not posting the details (addresses) here. The other homes are far flung about Utah County. If you want more information leave a comment or contact me.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to include Daniel Copper in your prayers.
So so sad. Fire is awful. I hope Daniel pulls through somehow. We'll keep him in our prayers. We are still planning on doing some touring on the 15th...
ReplyDeleteI guess you found my blog even though I was a slacker and didn't get the email sent. Thanks again for watching the boys last night. Seth was "powing" all night and much of this morning as well. See you Sunday!
ReplyDeleteHey Noelle! Plan on the tour... I spoke to Daniel today, he just seems so blue. This was his tsunami. I will be here for the tour. Gingerbread will be here. Evans Gatehouse has offered to sell the tickets and all proceeds would benefit Star Mill. His sisters are here to help him... see what happens.
ReplyDeleteMichelle! Last night with your boys was a blast! Yeah, insomnia and the internet are a good companion. (Only for the good stuff... that didn't sound quite right.) Time to find the stuff you've always wanted to look up. :) How could you deny me those cute pictures of Nick~the fat tourist! Oh, I mean S & S! you are a pretty cute Dorothy though too!
This just breaks my heart.
ReplyDelete