13 February 2008

U is for the #1 beagle Uno at Westminster Dog Show!!!



Now this is news to celebrate!
A beagle finally won very best at the Westminster Dog Show! AhhhhhhOooooooooH!
The video of Uno winning is exactly how I remember the beagles at the first dog show I ever went to in 1986. My incredibly fun Mother asked if I wanted to go to the dog show. (We are plagued with allergies so we were not a dog family during my growing up.) Going to a dog show? Sure!
We went to the Cow Palace (real name) and wandered around and sat down for part of the competition. Out came all sorts of dogs, and people. Everyone was so stuffy, serious and coiffed in a ridiculous way. Then, it was love at first sight, the beagles came out. Naturally elegant and sleak and yet playful, smart. No liver treat could keep them walking in a straight line, they in an honest dog like fashion, sniffed everything; they trotted and danced about. Before I knew what I was saying, I said: I want one!

The other day K asked me, out of the blue, if my life would have been different if I hadn't gone to that dog show. What a great question for a 12 year old boy to ask. I thought about it. Yes. My life would have been very different. Shortly after that show my parents in their generous way bought a tan and white beagle for me. Silly (a.k.a Silas Starbuck) was my first dog ever. Then, shortly after that, they booted the both of us out of the house! A fiendish plot: get the girl (21 years) a dog, dog can't stay at house with allergies, both move out!

Silly taught me about everything, and I have often marveled at how little I knew before he became my private tutor. He taught me about routine, discipline, the need for boundaries (fences), natural talents, change, making friends, dog people, daily exercise, a dog's needs, habits and health. Many prayers were said and answered about/for him. Most especially he taught me about unconditional love.

3 beagles later I am still learning. Ginger is all about fun, smarts, beauty, her specialty is sweetness and sensitivity. There is nothing better than silky beagle ears on a sad day.

Way to go Uno! Finally beagles get the respect they have long deserved. First time in 100 years at Westminster, a standing ovation! trounced the pom pom poodles and the yappy terriers! AhhhhOooooooH!

In a little bit I'm going to take Ginger on a celebratory walk.

2 comments:

  1. yeah!!!! i love beagles! I love ginger! i love you!!!! happy valentines to all the adorable m/l clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were the first person i thought of when i heard about the beagle's victory. that beagle, like most beagles (and Silly above all, who I remember so fondly), had personality plus.

    --writermama

    ReplyDelete