25 August 2009

Positive Influences on J


After less than a week of school I am thinking about the role of a school in a child's life and growth. School is so positive -- the right one can be!
Thinking about the time spent home schooling J... not so great. In the long run, if home school had continued I think the ill-effects would have outweighed the positive, especially for him as a child. I loved being with him, when I was able to be. He benefits from outside influences.
The list is long:
• cleanliness (You keep your desk clean here too?)[I love that our new school has the children vacuum, clean etc.]
• ideas (The Wizard of Oz as an allegory of family, growth and friendship.)
• sunshine & rain!
• beauty (We went on a field-trip today up the canyon. It was so beautiful.)
• projects, beyond what we do at home. Seeing other people's solutions to projects.
• different talents (You can spell? I like math!)
• playgrounds
• friends (!)
• teachers (Mrs. X played an oboe today!)
• habits (You tie your shoes?)
• traditions (Did you know that in India they...?)
• class parties and childhood games
• smells (...)
• tastes (I'll trade you some broccoli for one of my mom's whole wheat chocolate chip amazing cookies! Deal.)
• rigorous work ethic
• technology
• critical thinking and writing, that includes editing and organization and presentation of ideas
• music (You like classical music too? Does your mom like Funk music? Mine does!)
• language & pronunciation, especially for N & M
• attitudes (The world is good place, & not just because my parents tell me it is.)
• and finally kindness.

Even the less than great teachers have taught my children some important life lessons, and make the truly great shine even brighter.

J's needs are finally being addressed. I appreciated his teacher's insight today. I am anxious to see how we meet his needs and how he grows, learns, writes, reads and expresses his brilliance in the future. He is a marvelous sweet, bright, happy, generous, grateful, energetic and loving boy.

If YOU have, are, will, or want to home school: GREAT. A school setting might not be for every child for every year, but then again homeschool might not be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment