30 September 2009

N is for Nice Note!


A major reason that K is going to the school he is going to is because of the beautiful & kind secretary at the front office. A school can be judged on test scores, design/maintenance of the campus and principal, but perhaps the best measurements of a school are the library, students & teachers, and perhaps most importantly the people who greet you at the front desk.

Linda is fantastic. Incredible. She knows the students' names, all of them! And to some degree their schedules. There are almost 1000 kids there! I am in awe. She is so with-it and encouraging and patient with me and my foibles.

StMaKaJuNa know that signing endless papers is/was not my favorite chore. I couldn't figure out why I needed to write notes that could say anything and that was good enough. Finally I decided to write/draw anything and have some fun.

And as with so many things that I once hated, I have learned to embrace, though not love (how cheep!) and then personalize, some might even say perfect. Lunch making, laundry (NOT perfected), seasonal decorating are some examples.

When it comes to NOTE WRITING for K to give to Linda I feel that I have reached a new level of mastery. Linda might say perfection, but she is an appreciative and generous audience. She loves my notes and has saved them for the last several years. When possible I pre-glitter them, use bright colors and illuminate her name. They are never dull.

The above note is one of my favorites. I was caught in the car, late, without paper, colors, glitter. Just some dim wit and a spiral note book with a few scant drawings in it. This is what I came up with. It made her smile. AND! K got away with being late, again.

When we contemplated, discussed switching schools to W, where J, N & M are going I paused and said, "What about Linda?!"

K's eyes twinkled. He decided to stay one more year. This has been a good decision. His grades are great, he has made new friends and (!) he is playing Daddy Warbucks in Annie! [cue the music: "I think I'm gonna like it here!" Woot! Woot!]


No comments:

Post a Comment